Yoga for a Healthy Back: Addressing Pelvic Asymmetry
Did you know that asymmetry in the pelvis can cause back pain and joint issues?
In fact, this kind of asymmetry causes our body to compensate for the imbalance, which can negatively affect the hip joints, knees and feet, while also disturbing the stability of the vertebral discs.
It’s vital that yoga practitioners understand they’re especially vulnerable to the deleterious affects of pelvic asymmetry: if you have a tilted or rotated pelvis, you may be unknowingly stretching too deeply into asymmetrical poses, which can result in pain and even long-term damage.
That’s why I was so grateful when Yoga U invited me to develop this course for yoga students and teachers. Working with pelvic asymmetry is one of the topics I explore in my book Healing Our Backs with Yoga. As a Certified Yoga Therapist by the International Association of Yoga Therapy, C-IAYT, I have helped many yoga practitioners create pelvic and sacral stability and thereby avoid back pain and joint issues.
Allow me to share my knowledge, personal experience, and reliable alignment based techniques to help you:
- Understand the causes of pelvic asymmetry and sacroiliac disturbance
- Learn the relationships between the psoas and core muscles, the pelvic floor, and the posterior hip and gluteal muscles
- Gain insight into reliable alignment cues to establish structural support and balance
- Help relieve the pain associated with an uneven gait, pelvic rotations, and SI joint disturbances
3 – Part Course
In this 3-part online course geared for yoga teachers and students with any level of yoga experience, I’ll show you an accessible and reliable approach to relieving pelvic asymmetry and SI joint instability.
In the 1-hour lecture portion, I’ll explain different types of pelvic asymmetry and identify four different types of SI joint imbalances. You’ll learn how to use a unique tool called the Range of Motion Tests, along with a set of yoga poses, which allows each individual a way to objectively determine the muscular balance of the pelvis. By knowing which muscles are short and which are long, you’ll gain greater certainty when choosing which yoga poses to practice and which to avoid.
Then, in the four 30-minute practice modules, you’ll receive clear guidance from me to help you apply yoga poses to your particular imbalances to create harmony and relieve pain:
Module 1: How to awaken the psoas and unstick the sacrum
Module 2: Poses to create pelvic and sacral stability
Module 3: Ways to open and balance the pelvic floor
Module 4: How to use yoga poses to build much-needed muscle tone and ongoing stability.
“Lillah, I bought your online osteoporosis course this week. I was reassured that you were teaching from your experience of back pain and osteoporosis. I just want to tell you how helpful it is and how much I like it. I’m a long time experienced yoga student. A heartfelt THANK YOU!” ~ Maggie, Director, Sheffield investment Co. Ltd.
“In a short time Lillah has made me aware of many new ways my body works. She is extremely knowledgeable and her instructions are clear and concise.” ~ Sue, Yoga enthusiast
Preview the Powerpoint
My Goal for this Course
It’s been apparent to me over my decades of teaching that pelvic asymmetry creates great confusion among yoga practitioners. My goal for this course is to provide you with the anatomical information, insight, and practice tips needed to help you make sense of your pelvis and return to a functional pain-free yoga practice.
Because I know how important this information is to keep your hips happy and healthy, especially for yoga teachers… You are receiving a $30 savings over the regular $127 price for this course at Yoga U Online.
This Premium Course Includes These Bonuses:
- Yoga practice videos: Four yoga practices designed specifically for this course.
- Recordings of All Webinar Sessions: It’s generally acknowledged that many people only retain 10-20 percent of what they learn in a workshop. You will get access to the recordings of all webinar sessions – both MP3 (downloadable) and MP4 (streaming online), enabling you to go back and listen to the workshop as many times as you like.
- Transcripts of All Sessions: Ever wanted to refer to a certain part of a course? Even the best note takers miss a point every so often. With the transcripts of the webinar sessions, you can go back and refer to particularly important passages or clarify sections you were in doubt about.
- This course qualifies for 3 CEU’s with Yoga Alliance
Still thinking about it?
I welcome you to read two of my blog posts that explore SI joint balance and my own personal story of identifying and healing from S.I. joint dysfunction, to add to the insights I trust you’ll gain about pelvic asymmetry covered in this course.
You can also watch my FREE YogaU preview video. This video interview covers how jumping into the practice of advanced poses with out a foundational understanding of each pose has led to a rise in pelvic asymmetries and hip pain in yoga practitioners.
Click to see our recents posts.